When Do I Make a BIT Report?

In general, any behavior that raises concern for a student's well-being should be reported. Report any behavior that causes you concern or may make others feel unsafe. Err on the side caution when deciding to report, even if you are not sure or just want the information tracked to monitor a pattern of behavior.

If You Have Witnessed:

Distressed Behavior

Students who may be emotionally troubled and/or affected by situational stressors and traumatic event(s).

Disturbed or Disruptive Behavior

Students who may be behaviorally disruptive, acting in an unusual or bizarre fashion, might be destructive and harmful to self or others and might be abusing substances.

Self-injurious Behavior

Students may be suicidal, para-suicidal (extreme cutting, eating disordered), engaging in risk-taking behaviors (e.g. substance abuse), might be hostile, aggressive, relationally abusive, and may be deficient in skills that regulate emotion, cognition, self, behavior, and relationships.

Signs of what to look for:

Physical Signs

  • Significant changes in energy

  • Frequent state of intoxication
  • Significant weight loss
  • Worrisome changes in hygiene
  • Noticeable cuts, bruises, and burns
  • Sleeping in class or at other inappropriate times

Emotional Signs

  • Inappropriate emotional outbursts
  • Direct statements indicating distress
  • Expressions of hopelessness or suicide
  • Peer concerns for another student
  • Exaggerated personality traits (more withdrawn or animated than usual)

Academic Signs

  • Deterioration in academic work
  • Disorganized or erratic performance
  • Repeated absences and missed assignments
  • Ranting or threatening emails
  • Continual seeking of special provisions

How Do I Report a Concern?

Individuals may submit a report about a person of concern in a few different ways: