Skip to Main Content

Types of Aid

Type of Aid Available

By completing required financial aid applications, you will be considered for available federal, state, and institutional aid. This aid includes the Federal PELL Grant (PELL), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work Study (FWS), HOPE Scholarship and Grant, Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE for Students who complete a GED, and institutional scholarships administered by the OTC Foundation.

Federal Student Aid

Students must be enrolled in a Title IV eligible program to receive PELL, FSEOG, or FWS.

Federal PELL Grant Program (PELL)

The Federal PELL Grant (PELL) is a federally funded Title IV Grant Program available to students who meet certain income guidelines of postsecondary education. The PELL Grant does not require repayment. It is not available to anyone who has received a bachelor’s degree or higher, owes a refund to any Title IV Aid Program, or is in default on a student loan.

The amount of the PELL Grant award will depend on the expected family contribution (EFC) amount shown on the Student Aid Report, regardless if the student is full or part-time, the number of federal credit hours enrolled, the cost of attendance, and the size of federal appropriations. Students must reapply each fiscal year (July 1st – June 30th) by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the renewal application for the New Year. PELL is not available to students who are developmentally admitted, institutionally accepted, or considered a special admit student.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is based on financial need. Students must be undergraduates enrolled in an eligible program leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate at an eligible College. Students must be enrolled at least one semester to receive FSEOG. Students must meet citizenship requirements as required for all Title IV Programs, as well as all other eligibility requirements listed in the Federal Student Financial Aid Handbook. Priority for supplemental grants will be given to students with the lowest EFC and the greatest unmet need. The Student Aid Report (SAR) / Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) will be used to consider all eligible students for FSEOG.

Maximum FSEOG Award - The maximum FSEOG a student may receive per academic year at the College will depend on the availability of funds, but will not exceed $200 per semester or $600 per year.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program gives employment to students who need the income to help meet the costs of post-secondary education. Work-study awards are made on a semester basis.

To be eligible for a FWS job, a student must have a "financial/unmet need." His/her cost of attendance must be greater than the expected family contribution (EFC). FWS may not be awarded to a student if that award, when combined with all other resources, would exceed the student's financial unmet need for that award year.

The resources available in the federal work-study program, when combined with the College’s 25% matching funds, may not be sufficient to hire all eligible and interested students.

Students will be paid $7.25 per hour, on a monthly basis, for duties performed at their assigned job location. Time cards are to be signed by both the student and their supervisor, after hours have been totaled. Questions in relation to hours and days worked should be discussed at this time. If the student feels there is a problem with their time, they should discuss this with their supervisor. The student has the right to appeal any decision or problem. In an appeal, the first step is to contact the Director of Financial Aid. If the problem is not resolved, the student should then contact the Vice President for Student Affairs. The decision of the Vice President is the final decision at the College.

Checks are disbursed on the last day of a pay period unless on a weekend or holiday. If this occurs, they will be disbursed on the preceding Friday.

In assigning a FWS job, the College will consider the student's financial need, the number of hours per week the student can work, the period of employment, the anticipated wage rate, and the amount of other assistance available to the student. To the maximum extent practicable, the College will provide FWS jobs that will complement and reinforce each recipient's educational program or career goals.

The College may oppose any garnishment order they receive for repayment of debt. Paying FWS funds in such cases could mean that funds would not be used "solely for educational purposes," which is a requirement for awarding the Title IV aid funds.

No FWS position will involve construction, operating, or maintaining any part of a building used for religious worship or sectarian instruction.

The Fair Labor Standards Act of l938, as amended, prohibits employers (including Colleges) from accepting voluntary services from any paid employee. Any student employed under FWS must be paid for all hours worked.

Determining Maximum FWS Eligibility

In determining the maximum FWS award a student is eligible to receive, the Director of Financial Aid must take into account the following resources:

those resources the aid administrator can reasonably anticipate at the time aid is awarded to the student such as Federal PELL Grant awards, HOPE Grant awards, Veterans educational benefits, scholarships, WIA benefits, Department of Labor benefits, and FSEOG awards, and/or

  • those the College makes available to its students, and/or
  • those the Director of Financial Aid is made aware of.
  • The sum of a student's FWS award plus other resources may not exceed his/her financial need.

Non need-based earnings, such as earnings from a job a student locates on his/her own with a private employer, are not considered to be a resource for the current award year. The earnings will be reported on the application for federal student aid for the subsequent award year and will be used to determine the Expected Family Contribution for the subsequent award year. Only net income from need-based employment may now be considered as resource.

If the student receives additional resources at any time during the award period that were not considered in calculating the student's FWS award, and these resources including the expected FWS wages will exceed the student's need, the over-award is the amount in excess of the student's need. If this amount does not exceed $300, the College may use FWS funds to pay the student until the FWS award has been earned or until the student’s increased need has been met. In addition, the College may continue employing the student under FWS after the full amount of FWS award has been earned and the student’s financial need has been met; however, the College may pay the student with FWS funds only up to the time the income from need-based employment exceeds the student’s financial need by more than $300. At that point, FWS funds may no longer be used to pay the student. The College may continue to employ the student, but funds other than FWS funds must be used to pay the wages.

State Student Aid Programs

The Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) provides student financial aid services through the Scholarships and Grants Division, the Georgia Student Finance Authority, and the Georgia Higher Education Assistance Corporation.

The Scholarships and Grants Division is the agency that administers the Georgia HOPE Scholarship/Grant Program, Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE GED Grant Program, and Strategic Industries Workforce Development Grant.

General Student Eligibility Requirements

  • Meet HOPE’s Georgia residency requirements;
  • Meet HOPE’s U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizen requirements;
  • Be enrolled as a degree-seeking student in an eligible public or private college or university or technical college in Georgia;
  • Be in compliance with Selective Service registration requirements;
  • Maintain Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress;
  • Not be in default or owe a refund on a student financial aid program;
  • Not have exceeded the maximum award limits for any HOPE program;
  • Be in compliance with the Georgia Drug-Free Postsecondary Education Act of 1990. A student may be ineligible for HOPE payment if he or she has been convicted for committing certain felony offenses involving marijuana, controlled substances, or dangerous drugs.

HOPE Scholarship and HOPE Grant

The HOPE Scholarship and HOPE Grant were established to help deserving students cover a portion of their tuition each semester. HOPE is awarded according to the Georgia Student Finance Commission guidelines. There is no minimum number of hours of enrollment required, unless the student is reaching the Paid Hours Limit during a term of attendance. HOPE Grant is capped at 63 semester hours, while HOPE Scholarship is capped at 127 paid hours. Students must meet all requirements set forth above for State Student Aid Programs.

HOPE funds cannot be applied to coursework exempted by examination.

A transient student is eligible to receive a HOPE payment if all other eligibility requirements have been met. Both the home and the host institution must be eligible Georgia institutions participating in the HOPE program. The host institution awards HOPE funds to the transient student based on certification of eligibility from the home institution. See the HOPE regulations for more details.

Zell Miller Scholarship

A student who graduated high school with a 3.7 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale and with an SAT score of 1200 or an ACT score of 26, on a single administered test, is eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship. The Valedictorian or Salutatorian from a high school graduating class are considered automatically eligible, regardless of GPA/SAT/ACT. Effective Fall Semester 2011, current students must meet the GPA/SAT/ACT requirement from high school and have at least a 3.3 GPA at the 30, 60, and 90 semester hour check point of their college coursework.

HOPE GED Grant Program

Students who are Georgia Residents and earn a GED on or after July 1, 1993 are eligible for a state grant of $500. After passing the GED test, residents will receive a voucher by mail. The student must sign and submit their voucher to the Office of Financial Aid during the semester of enrollment in which they wish to redeem their voucher. Please note that the voucher expires within 24 months of being issued.

Veteran Administration (VA Benefits)

Veteran’s benefits are available to qualified veterans and dependents. Application forms and assistance in filing for education benefits are available in the Office of Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs. Also, you can learn about additional information by visiting the OTC Veterans Affairs webpage.

Workforce Investment Act (WIA)

WIA is a federally funded program designed for students enrolled in a occupationally specific major at a college or technical college. You must be at least 19 years of age, enrolled full-time in school, and within two years of receiving your degree/diploma. For more information, please contact your local Department of Labor office or call (912) 287-9943.

Vocational Administration (VA Benefits)

Veteran's benefits are available to qualified veterans and dependents. Application forms and assistance in filing for education benefits are available in the Office of Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs. Also, you can learn about additional information by visiting the OTC Veterans Affairs Webpage.

Vocational Rehabilitation

The Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) provides financial assistance to students who have physical and mental disabilities and who qualify for DRS services. Students should contact their local office of the Department of Human Resources for details.

CPTC Foundation Scholarships

The Altamaha Technical College Foundation and the Okefenokee Technical College Foundation offer academic and needs-based scholarships to CPTC in-coming and current students who meet specific criteria. Visit the CPTC scholarship page for more information.

Telephone numbers are accessible to persons who are deaf or hard of hearing through the Georgia Relay by dialing 711 or 1-800-255-0056 from a TTY/TDD.

Los números de teléfono son accesibles a las personas que son sordos o con pérdida de la audición a través de Georgia Relay marcando 711 o 1-800-255-0056 de TTY/TDD.


Waycross Alma Baxley
1701 Carswell Ave 101 West 17th St 1334 Golden Isles Pkwy, W
Waycross, Georgia 31503 Alma, Georgia 31510 Baxley, Georgia 31513
912.287.6584 912.632.0951 912.367.1700
  Camden Golden Isles
  8001 The Lakes Blvd 3700 Glynco Pkwy
  Kingsland, Georgia 31548 Brunswick, Georgia 31525
  912.510.3327 912.262.4999
  Hazlehurst Jesup
  677 Douglas Hwy 1777 West Cherry St
  Hazlehurst, Georgia 31539 Jesup, Georgia 31545
  912.379.0041 912.427.5800


Human Trafficking Hotline

Website design and development by, Inc.

Copyright © Coastal Pines Technical College. All rights reserved.

close (X)