Skip to Main Content


FAQ Categories


Financial Aid

CPTC Foundation


High School Program


Questions & Answers


Where is the library located?


back to top ↑

How does a returning Student use the College Student Email System?

Microsoft Office Outlook

Outlook Live offers 10GB of inbox email storage as well as an optimized Outlook experience on the desktop, web or mobile phone. Outlook Live is a popular email system used in many large scale businesses today. See below for instructions. 

Check BannerWeb for email address. (click Banner Web Link on the left)

  • Log in to BannerWeb
  • Click on Personal Information
  • Click on View email addresses
  • OTC email address is listed as the preferred email address
  • Navigate to or Click the student email link on the BannerWeb page.
  • New students - - see directions below.
  • In the Windows Live ID textbox, enter the email address obtained from BannerWeb.
  • Next, enter your password. The default password is your six digit date of birth (mmddyy).
  • Enter the required account information, and then click I ACCEPT.
  • After your intial log in, simply go to and log into your account.

back to top ↑

What is the web address for access to the Learning Management System for Online Classes?

back to top ↑

Financial Aid

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA and submit it to the federal processor as soon as possible AFTER October 1st.  Be sure to submit your FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA to the federal processor in time for them to process it (about four weeks) and transmit the results to us before your expected term of enrollment.  You may prefer to apply online by using FAFSA on the Web at  ( ).  We strongly encourage this method of applying since it is faster and generally more accurate because the online version has built-in edits.  Apply for financial aid at the same time, or even before, you apply for admissions.

back to top ↑

What is the Title IV School Code for CPTC?

CPTC's Federal Title IV School Code is 005511.  This number must be used when completing the FAFSA in order for CPTC to receive your financial aid application.

back to top ↑

Do I need to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes.  Each year you must file either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal FAFSA for the appropriate academic year and submit any additional verification documents that are requested.  You must also maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to qualify for aid each year.

back to top ↑

Can the Office of Financial Aid estimate if I am eligible for Title IV Aid?

The Office of Financial Aid cannot determine the amount of your awards until the results of your FAFSA has been received from the federal processor.  Your eligibility is determined by the federal processor from information you (and your family, if a dependent student) supply on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The federal processor determines your "Expected Family Contribution" (EFC) according to a formula supplied by the U.S. Congress and then forwards this information to the Office of Financial Aid.  Only then can the Office of Financial Aid begin to determine the amounts of your awards.

back to top ↑

Why do I need to complete a Verification Worksheet and submit a Federal Tax Return Transcript?

Each year, the Federal Processor selects an estimated 30% of the financial aid applicants for a particular school in a process called Verification.  The school must verify the information that the student provided on his or her FAFSA.  Various verification documents are required to verify that information.

Effective July 16, 2012, applicants selected for verification are now required to provide documentation of tax return information by either using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of the FAFSA on the Web or by submitting to the student’s school, an IRS Tax Return Transcript obtained from the IRS.

back to top ↑

How do I know if my financial aid application has been processed and approved?

The Office of Financial Aid uses the college’s assigned Microsoft Office Outlook Live email address to communicate with each student.  Any requests for documentation or award notifications will be sent to this email account once established by the college.  Emails instruct students to log into their secure BannerWeb portal where he/she can review their award status for the aid year.

back to top ↑

Can a veteran receive both VA Benefits and federal/state financial aid?

It is possible, but veterans' benefits can greatly impact the amount of financial aid a student can receive.

back to top ↑

How do I apply for the HOPE Scholarship or Grant?

All students interested in applying for Financial Aid at CPTC are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). However, students who do not wish to complete a FAFSA application will be required to complete the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) GSFAPPS application online at or contact the Financial Aid office for further assistance.

back to top ↑

Do I have to be full-time to receive HOPE?

There is not a minimum or maximum number of enrollment hours for a student to receive HOPE, provided the student has not reached the HOPE Paid-Hours limit.  A student will be paid HOPE according to the number of enrollment hours (capped at 15 semester hours) each semester.

back to top ↑

How many hours must I take to be classified as a full time student for financial aid purposes?

12 credit hours or more is required to be considered full-time status.

back to top ↑

How is my Enrollment Status determined?

For the purpose of awarding aid, the enrollment status is as follows:


  • Full-time status is any student enrolled and attending classes for a minimum of 12 federal credit hours per semester.
  • ¾-time status is any student enrolled and attending classes for a minimum of 9-federal credit hours per semester.
  • ½-time status is any student enrolled and attending classes for a minimum of 6-federal credit hours per semester.
  • Less-than-half time status is any student enrolled and attending classes for 1 to 5 federal credit hours per semester. 

back to top ↑

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Satisfactory Academic Progress is a set of federal, state, and institutional guidelines for students receiving financial assistance.  If a student fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress, he/she will be placed on warning or suspension status.  A copy of the current Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy may be found in the CPTC Student Handbook for the current year. Click here to view the CPTC Student Handbook for the current year.

back to top ↑

Can I appeal my SAP status if I am suspended from financial aid for failing to maintain satisfactory academic progress?

Students who feel they have extenuating circumstances that have contributed to their failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal the status according to the guidelines established by the Office of Financial Aid.  This policy can be found in the CPTC Student Handbook for the current year. Click here to view the CPTC Student Handbook.

back to top ↑

What happens to my financial aid status if I withdraw from school?

Students who withdraw from school while on financial aid may have their awards reduced.  Depending upon when you withdraw from school, your awards can be reduced and you may be required to repay a specified percentage of any aid you have received in the term in which you are withdrawing.  Check with the Office of Financial Aid before withdrawing from school to see if withdrawing could have an effect on your awards.

back to top ↑

How can I get my financial aid transferred to another school?

Students transferring to another institution will have to make a correction to their current year FAFSA by adding the institutions Federal School Code.  Students must also contact the institution and complete any necessary forms to determine eligibility.

back to top ↑

What type of financial aid can I receive as a transient student while I am a student at CPTC?

A student wishing to take a transient class at another TCSG Technical College may be eligible to receive HOPE at the HOST school if the student is eligible for HOPE at CPTC.  If the student is eligible for Title IV aid, CPTC will notify the HOST school in order that they may send an enrollment verification form after 60% of the semester.  This allows CPTC to award the students' Federal Aid at that time during the semester.  Students will be required to pay for any tuition, fees, and book costs that HOPE does not cover while a transient student at the host school.

back to top ↑

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes.  Students often think they do not qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving the financial assistance that is available.  The Office of Financial Aid offers a variety of financial aid programs with different eligibility requirements.

back to top ↑

If I am not eligible for Federal Grants, can I apply for a student loan?

Coastal Pines Technical College does not participate in the Federal Direct Student Loan Program.  Scholarships and Grants that Coastal Pines Technical College offers assist a large majority of our student population with tuition, fees, and book costs.  An additional percentage of students receive assistance with other educational costs.  If this assistance is not enough, students may visit the Sallie Mae webpage for more information about obtaining a private student loan. Click here to visit Sallie Mae.

back to top ↑

If I don't attend class, what happens to the PELL Grant and HOPE Awards for the semesters listed on my award letter?

Your award notice list awards for the entire award year.  However, if you withdraw from school or do not attend class during a particular semester, you cannot receive those estimated awards.

back to top ↑

If I moved to Georgia less than 1 year ago, can I qualify for the HOPE Grant?

A student must be a legal resident of Georgia 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of the semester they are planning to enroll in classes to be considered eligible for the HOPE Grant/Scholarship if the student graduated from a Georgia High School.  Students who did not graduate from a Georgia High School must be a legal resident of Georgia 24 consecutive months prior to the first day of the semester to be eligible for HOPE Grant/Scholarship.

back to top ↑

If I get married after I complete my application, can I change my marital status?

No, the student's marital status is effective for the award year as of the date the application is submitted.  During the Application Renewal period for the next award year is when a student can update his/her marital status.

back to top ↑

How do I check to see how many HOPE Paid-Hours I have used?

Students can review the number of HOPE Paid-Hours they currently have used by logging into their GAfutures account. Click here to visit GAfutures.

back to top ↑

CPTC Foundation

How does the Foundation raise money?

The Foundation raises money in three primary ways:

  • The annual “Tee It Up for Golf” Toolbox Scholarship Golf Tournament is a fundraiser that allows community and business members to make annual contributions to the Toolbox Scholarship Fund. Money from the Toolbox Fund is used to assist deserving students who have out-of-pocket college expenses with costs associated with tuition, fees, and program “tools.”
  • The OTC Foundation internal campaign allows trustees and OTC board directors, faculty and staff to demonstrate their financial support of the College and students through monthly payroll deduction or a one-time annual donation.
  • Foundation trustees and officials, along with the College president, seek donations and pledges annually from the private sector in support of OTC students, programs, and initiatives.
  • An inaugural major gifts campaign is currently underway. The multi-year campaign is a first for the OTC Foundation. Trustees, office staff, and the president are seeking multi-year financial pledges, one-time cash contributions, and select in-kind donations in support of specific endowments and academic initiatives.
  • Various fundraisers are conducted for the general fund from time to time. The Gritz & Glitz Gala, for example, was a well-attended, successful fundraiser for the OTC Foundation from 2008 through 2011.

back to top ↑

What kinds of gifts does the Foundation receive?

The Foundation receives various types of gifts, with cash being the most useful, especially if the funds are designated unrestricted. Unrestricted funds allow the trustees and Foundation staff to use the funds in ways that will do the most good. With an investment of an unrestricted gift, the donor can address the most urgent needs of Okefenokee Technical College and give the College the flexibility to help underwrite its most critical objectives. The General Fund is an essential component in maintaining the College’s academic excellence and fiscal stability.

Federal and state legislation frequently impacts financial aid resources for students. When possible, Foundation staff will use unrestricted funds to neutralize any negative impact of new legislation on students’ ability to attend college.

Other gifts come in the form of restricted funds, equipment, endowments, stocks and bonds, life insurance gifts, and bequests.

For specific questions about the tax deductibility of your gift, it is recommended that you consult your tax advisor.

back to top ↑

Who supports the Foundation?

The Foundation is supported first by the trustees, board directors, faculty, and staff of Okefenokee Technical College. We strongly believe in the mission of the College and demonstrate our support of students and technical education through contributions to the OTC Foundation’s internal campaign.

The Foundation is supported by individuals, businesses, and corporations that believe in our mission of workforce development, adult education, and technical education.

The Foundation is also supported by various private and community foundations that understand and value the importance of technical education.

back to top ↑


What are the College Library hours of operation?

Alma Library, Room 106
Monday - Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Baxley Learning Resource Center, Room 109
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Camden Library, 2nd Floor
Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
College of Coastal Georgia Library Hours

Golden Isles Library, Room 401
Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
912-280-4000 Ext 4411

Hazlehurst Learning Resource Center, Room 2
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 7:45 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Jesup Library, Room 184
Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Waycross Library, Room 1101
Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.

back to top ↑

How do I access library circulation and reference resources?

  • Present a valid Student ID
  • Two week checkout period for circulating books.
  • Reference books, reserves, and periodicals are available for Library Use Only.
  • Three day checkout for DVDs & CDs
  • Copy Machine Available - Black/White

back to top ↑

What other libraries have borrowing agreements with the college?

College of Coastal Georgia

Technical College System of Georgia Libraries

back to top ↑

What are the general guidelines for using the College Library?

  • Have a valid student ID to check out books
  • As a courtesy, cell phone ringers must be turned off
  • No food or drink permitted in the Library
  • Children are not allowed in the Library
  • Keep you voice down and conversations to a minimum

back to top ↑

High School Program

What program should I enroll in?

For information and statistics about jobs close to home, check out the Georgia Career Information Center (GCIS). GCIS is an internet-based system that has several components which provide current and accurate occupational and educational information to help young people make informed career choices. GCIS has research capabilities for programs of study, occupations (all aspects including growth and salaries), schools, job search, job retention, skills assessment, interest assessment and featured careers of the month. It also has the ability to generate letters for information from schools, and you can use GCIS to research financial aid and grant opportunities.

Click here for instructions on how to log on.

back to top ↑

I am ready to enroll! How do I get started?

High School students must complete the following steps to enroll: 

  • Complete Application for High School Students
  • Complete the Accuplacer (or equivalent) entrance exam
  • Complete the MOWR application for GSFC
  • Submit proof of lawful presence and residency (joint enrolled students only)

To complete the admissions process, each high school student will need to contact an CPTC Recruiter/High School Coordinator.

back to top ↑

How will I pay for my college classes?

All tuition, standard fees, and books are provided at no cost to MOWR students. To apply for financial aid, click on the appropriate form listed below.

Joint enrolled students must set up a profile on and complete the GSFAPPS financial aid application. MOWR students must set up a profile on and complete the MOWR financial aid application.

back to top ↑

What expenses will I be responsible for?

Each high school student will need to come to class equip with the standard items needed in a classroom setting. Each high school student is also responsible for purchasing any consumable items needed for college classes. Some examples include welding gloves/goggles, CPR certification cards, and scrubs.

back to top ↑

Will I be required to complete an entrance test to enroll in classes?

Each applicant must complete the Accuplacer placement exam or accepted placement tool. Accuplacer may be taken on site at the high school. The Accuplacer is a computer-based examination that measures basic writing, reading, numeric and algebraic skills. Minimum test score requirements are determined by program area. To sign up to take a placement test, please contact the high school guidance counselor or an CPTC High School Coordinator.

Click here for Accuplacer test review questions.

If a high school student has already completed the SAT or ACT exam, these scores may be used in place of the standard placement test.

back to top ↑

Will I get out of high school early?

The high school counselor determines if a student is able to miss part of her/her high school day. If a student will be receiving dual credit for the classes taken at CPTC, sometimes the student will be dismissed from high school early.

back to top ↑

What if I would like to withdraw from my college class after the semester begins?

The first three days of each semester are reserved as a Drop/Add period. During this time, each student can add, remove, or change his/her class schedule without any negative repercussions. This is an opportunity for a new student to test drive college classes.

Should a student withdraw from a course after the end of the third business day of the term, a grade of ‘W’, ‘WP’, or ‘WF’ will be recorded on the student’s transcript.

Withdrawing from a college class may impact a student’s high school graduation or continuation as a dual credit student.

back to top ↑

What happens if I withdraw from my college class after the Drop/Add period, or receive a failing grade in the college class?

Each student is required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to continue receiving financial aid awards. SAP is comprised of the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA), the student's completion rate, and maximum time frame. If a student fails to maintain SAP, he/she may become ineligible to receive future financial aid awards.

Should a student fail to make Satisfactory Academic Progress at the end of each semester, he/she will be placed on Financial Aid Warning. The student will receive notification and financial aid will continue for the next semester of attendance at CPTC.

If at the end of the Financial Aid Warning period the student is still NOT making Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension.

Failing or withdrawing from a college class may also impact a student’s high school graduation or continuation as a dual credit student.

For more information contact:

Tashina Jackson
Coastal Pines Technical College
4404 Glynco Parkway
Brunswick, Georgia 31525
(912) 280-4000 Ext. 4206 Office
(912) 424-3688 Work Cell
Serving Glynn and McIntosh Counties

Carley McDonald
Coastal Pines Technical College
1777 West Cherry Street
Jesup, Georgia 31545
(912) 588-2581 Office
(912) 288-7787 Work Cell
Serving Pierce, Long, and Wayne Counties

Kate Bussey
Coastal Pines Technical College
101 West 17th Street
Alma, Georgia 31510
(912) 632-2355 Office
(912) 387-1973 Work Cell
Serving Bacon, Appling, and Jeff Davis Counties

Eryn Parsons
Coastal Pines Technical College
1701 Carswell Avenue
Waycross, Georgia 31503
(912) 284-2509 Office
(912) 387-1887 Work Cell
Serving Brantley, Charlton, Clinch and Ware Counties

Rana Zauner
Coastal Pines Technical College
1701 Carswell Avenue
Waycross, Georgia 31503
(912) 287-6569 Office
(912) 288-4320 Work Cell
Serving Camden County

back to top ↑


What are online courses?

An online course is one delivered over the Internet using web pages, e-mail, online discussion forums, etc. CPTC offers a selection of full-credit college courses over the Internet as a flexible alternative to traditional, on-campus classes.

Online courses cover content as their traditional counterparts on campus. Class sizes are limited so that instructors can provide the same level of personal interactions as they do in the traditional classroom. This personal interaction is accomplished using e-mail and online discussion forums.

back to top ↑

How do online courses work?

Students “attend” online courses by accessing the Angel Learning Management System class web site and completing assignments according to the class schedule. Students communicate regularly with the instructor and classmates via e-mail and online discussion forums.

CPTC’s online courses are not self-paced, independent study courses. Students are required to complete assignments according to the class schedule, to maintain regular contact with the instructor, and to participate in online discussions.

back to top ↑

What skills should I process in order to be successful in an online course?

Students taking online courses should be skillful in basic computer operations, use of email and Internet researching since the entire course will be delivered over the Internet.

Taking a course over the Internet requires the ability to work independently and to devise your own regular schedule for “attending” class and completing assignments.

Students learning online have a greater responsibility for their own success than students in traditional classroom settings. It is important that you have the self-discipline and motivation to work on a flexible schedule without getting behind. Students must be prepared to dedicate approximately 15 hours a week (for a 3 credit hour course) to their online course if they wish to be successful.

back to top ↑

Do I have to come to campus?

Generally, NO.  Students are required to complete the final examination on campus or proctored at a pre-approved location.  Your instructor will inform you of this and other required campus meetings in the course syllabus.

You may also make an appointment to see an on-campus instructor or drop by during his/her posted office hours. You may find it more convenient to use e-mail or telephone. We always encourage you to make an appointment with your instructor prior to your visit.

back to top ↑

Do I have to be online at a certain time each day (or week)?

Some instructors require students to be online during specific periods of time to complete exams of participate in group work. However, you are generally required to keep up with the class schedule and to complete assignments before specified due dates. Some classes may have several due dates each week; others may require work once per week. You can choose the time of day or night you want to log on to the Internet to work on an assignment, but you must complete it and submit it by the specified date and time.

back to top ↑

How do I register for an online course?

You may register for online courses through GVTC ( if you are a transient student. If you are a campus student, you should meet with your advisor.

back to top ↑

How much does it cost?

Online courses cost the same as traditional CPTC courses—they are priced according to the number of credit hours. Credit hours are listed in the syllabus for each online class. Financial aid may be available. Contact the Financial Aid Director in Student Affairs for more information.

back to top ↑

Can I “visit” an online class?

No. You may get more information about an online class by contacting the course instructor or the Director of Distance Education.

back to top ↑

Can I “visit” an online class?

No. You may get more information about an online class by contacting the course instructor or the Office of Distance Education.

back to top ↑

What if I need technical help?

If you need technical assistance accessing or logging into an online course, contact the course instructor or the Office of Distance Education.

Many technical problems have to do with the student’s particular Internet Service Provider (ISP) or with his/her own hardware or software. In most cases, students will have to contact their ISP for technical support. CPTC cannot resolve problems with your hardware, software, or Internet service.

If you experience technical difficulties with your computer, students are always welcome to come to campus and use the Student Success Center computer lab or the library to complete coursework.

back to top ↑

What student services and resources are available?

All student services and students resources are available to online students.  Please visit the CPTC home page about resources available to students.

back to top ↑

How quickly will my online instructor respond to my questions?

The course syllabus lists the online office hours for each instructor. Instructors will respond immediately during the posted office hours and otherwise within 24 hours of the sent email message.

back to top ↑

Can't find what you are looking for?

Click here to ask your own question.


Waycross Alma Baxley
1701 Carswell Ave 101 West 17th St 1334 Golden Isles Pkwy, W
Waycross, Georgia 31503 Alma, Georgia 31510 Baxley, Georgia 31513
912.287.6584 912.632.0951 912.367.1700
  Camden Golden Isles
  8001 The Lakes Blvd 3700 Glynco Pkwy
  Kingsland, Georgia 31548 Brunswick, Georgia 31525
  912.510.3327 912.262.4999
  Hazlehurst Jesup
  677 Douglas Hwy 1777 West Cherry St
  Hazlehurst, Georgia 31539 Jesup, Georgia 31545
  912.379.0041 912.427.5800


Human Trafficking Hotline

Website design and development by, Inc.

Copyright © Coastal Pines Technical College. All rights reserved.

close (X)