Skip to Main Content

Eligibility Requirements

Students who receive financial aid at Coastal Pines Technical College are responsible for reading, understanding, and complying with the requirements explained here and on other official documents received from the Office of Financial Aid. Before contacting the Office of Financial Aid regarding any questions, please review the information found here and on all other Financial Aid webpages thoroughly. It is likely that the answer to your question(s) will be on these pages.

Because financial aid programs are funded by a variety of organizations, the requirements change frequently. Be sure to review requirements and take appropriate action to fulfill the requirements during each term of enrollment.

Basic Eligibility Requirements

In order to qualify for most types of financial aid programs, all students must meet the following general eligibility requirements:

  • Agree to use financial aid funds only for educational purposes;
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Noncitizen;
  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible degree, diploma, certificate program;
  • Demonstrate financial need (for Title IV eligible programs);
  • Have a high school diploma; or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate; or have completed a high school education in a homeschool setting, approved under state law.
  • Have a valid Social Security number;
  • Maintain Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP);
  • Must be registered with Selective Service ( ), if male (must register between the ages of 18 and 25); and
  • Not be in Default on a student loan or owe a Refund on a previously received scholarship or grant.
  • In addition, eligibility might be suspended if convicted of unlawful manufacture, distribution, possession, or use of controlled substances while receiving federal and state student aid (grants, loans, or work-study).

For more information regarding basic eligibility requirements, visit

Bookstore Allowance

A student is eligible for a bookstore allowance if there is a credit balance remaining from financial aid after tuition and fees are paid. A bookstore allowance is not additional funds, but is based on the credit balance remaining after financial aid is applied to tuition and fees during the semester. An allowance is created and uploaded to the student's account in the bookstore to allow purchase of books by the first day of classes each semester or part-of-term.

A student may login to his/her BannerWeb account to view student account information to determine the amount of the bookstore allowance for the term. Instructions on how to access this information is available on the BannerWeb login page.

Any unused portion of the bookstore allowance will be refunded to the student after all bookstore charges are posted if the student remains eligible for the remaining balance by the 28th day of the semester or part-of-term.

Determination of Neediest Students

In order to determine how to best use Title IV Campus-based funds awarded to the college in order to assist as many eligible applicants as possible, the needs of all students applying for Title IV eligible funds are taken into consideration. All students are placed in a ranking order based on need; taking into account all known resources that the student may be receiving. Those students showing the greatest need will be awarded any available campus-based aid according to program requirements until such funds have been exhausted for the award year. In the event students who have been awarded campus-based aid refuse the award; gain additional resources that result in an over award situation; leave the College for any reason; or fall below half-time (1/2) enrollment status, the student will lose those funds during the semester awarded and those funds will be awarded to other students based on the above ranking system.

Disbursement Procedures

Generally, students are allowed to use his/her financial aid awards to offset tuition, fees and bookstore charges. The amount of a student’s financial aid award not used is disbursed on the 14th calendar day of classes and issued as a refund to the student within two weeks following the date of disbursement.

Any refund due to a student for the semester is uploaded to the student’s CPTC debit card or issued to the student in the form of a paper check, if the student has opted out of the debit card program. If picking up a paper check, a student must provide the Business Office with his/her current CPTC student identification card before being issued his/her refund check. If the student chooses not to pick up his/her refund check in person on the posted date, the Business Office will mail the refund check within one week to the student’s last reported address.

Changes to a student’s class schedule may result in an adjustment to the student’s financial aid award(s) for the semester due to changes in total number of hours enrolled, tuition and fee adjustments, and/or bookstore charges. In addition, when a student fails to complete courses; requests a pre-class withdrawal; no-shows for a class; or totally withdraws from all courses during the semester, his/her financial aid award(s) may be adjusted during the semester.

At the time of disbursement:

  • A student must be accepted for admission to CPTC in an eligible degree, diploma, or certificate program.
  • Student must be enrolled before funds may be disbursed.
  • Student eligibility must be confirmed by the Office of Financial Aid before funds are disbursed.
  • A student eligible for Federal and State Aid must have submitted a valid Student Aid Report in electronic form to the Office of Financial Aid before funds are disbursed.

Financial Aid Academic Requirements

In accordance with the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, students receiving federal financial aid must be in good standing and making satisfactory academic progress. There is a conceptual difference between good standing and satisfactory academic progress. Good standing means that a student is eligible to enroll or to re-enroll during the semester in his or her classes with the Registrar's Office, while Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress means that a student is in good academic standing and advancing toward fulfilling degree, diploma, or certificate requirements in a manner consistent with the prescribed financial aid satisfactory academic progress policy of the College.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

To view or print a brochure on Coastal Pines Technical College's SAP Policy, click here.

Financial Aid recipients at Coastal Pines Technical College (CPTC) are required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to Federal Regulations in their program of study to continue receiving Federal, State, and Institutional financial aid awards. Students who fail to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress risk becoming ineligible to receive future financial aid awards. Federal Title IV Financial Aid administered programs include the Federal PELL Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Federal Work Study (FWS). State Financial Aid administered programs include HOPE Scholarship, HOPE Grant, HOPE GED Grant, HERO, Public Safety Memorial Grant, Law Enforcement Personnel Grant programs, and Strategic Industries Workforce Development Grant. Satisfactory Academic progress also affects a student's eligibility for Federal, State, and Private Student Loans.

Satisfactory Academic Program (SAP) is comprised of the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA) – (qualitative standard); the student's completion rate – (quantitative standard); and maximum time frame.

Qualitative Standard

In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid with the qualitative standard, a student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. The cumulative grade point average will be used to determine the academic standing for financial aid eligibility. The cumulative GPA is computed by the Registrar's Office and is calculated on a 4.0 scale (A = 4.0, B = 3.0, C = 2.0, D = 1.0, & F = 0.0). Grades that adversely affect a student's GPA are D, F, and WF – (Withdrew Failing). Grades of Incomplete (I or IP), Withdrawal (W), Withdrew Passing (WP), Satisfactory (S), and Unsatisfactory (U) have no impact on the student's GPA. The cumulative grade point average will be calculated at the end of each semester for Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Quantitative Standard

A. Completion Rate – In addition to meeting the requirements defined above, in order to remain eligible for financial aid, the student must satisfactorily complete at least 67% of all work for which he/she has attempted. A student's academic progress will be evaluated at the end of each semester.

Satisfactory completion is defined as earning grades of: A, B, C, D, or S.

Unsatisfactory completion is defined as earning grades of: F, W, WP, WF, U, I, or IP.

If a grade of "I" or "IP"is received, the student will be evaluated on a cumulative basis at the time the "I" or "IP" is received and again after it is changed to a letter grade.

Transfers of credit from other institutions are counted as credit hours attempted and earned in the calculation of completion rate.

PLEASE NOTE: Withdrawal from all registered courses during a semester may result in an outstanding account balance due to financial aid adjustment.

B. Maximum Time Frame – The maximum time frame allowed is 150% of the number of semester hours required to earn the degree, diploma, or certificate. For example, if a student is pursuing a program of study that requires 60 semester hours to complete, the student cannot receive financial aid after attempting 90 semester hours (60 X 150% = 90).

If a student graduates from one program and re-enrolls in another program, the maximum time frame will be reset. However, all previous credit hours attempted that count toward the new program will be included in the new time frame calculation.

Financial Aid Warning

Students failing to make Satisfactory Academic Progress at the end of each semester will be placed on FINANCIAL AID WARNING. The student will receive notification and financial aid will continue for the student's next semester of attendance at CPTC.

Financial Aid Suspension

If at the end of a FINANCIAL AID WARNING period the student is NOT making Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student will be placed on FINANCIAL AID SUSPENSION.

Appeal of Financial Aid Suspension

A student has the right to appeal a Satisfactory Academic Progress finding if there are extenuating circumstances that prevented the student from meeting the specified requirements. A written appeal specifically addressing the extenuating circumstances, including supporting documentation, must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid within 5 days from the date the student is notified of Suspension. Appeals submitted after the deadline, with missing signatures, or incomplete information may not be considered prior to the start of the next semester of enrollment.

Appeals will be considered for extenuating circumstances only, which may include, but are not limited to, the death of an immediate family member, an injury or illness of the student or an immediate family member, or other special circumstances that are generally outside the control of the student. The appeal must include:

  • Information explaining why the student failed to make SAP.
  • What has changed in the student's situation that will allow him/her to make SAP within the next semester of enrollment.
  • Documentation of the extenuating circumstances that led to the student's suspension of financial aid.
  • The Financial Aid Appeals Committee will review all appeals and their decision is considered FINAL.

A student may only appeal Financial Aid Suspension twice but not in consecutive terms.

Probation and Academic Plans

Following an approved appeal, the student will be placed on FINANCIAL AID PROBATION and will be eligible to continue receiving financial aid during his/her next semester of attendance for one semester only. In order to receive financial aid after the probation term, a student must meet SAP requirements.

Alternately, an Academic Plan may be established for the student by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee. Academic Plans will be developed on an individual basis, but at a minimum, will require the student to successfully complete all attempted courses with a "C" (2.0 Term GPA) or better. An Academic Plan may also require a student to meet with his/her Academic Advisor or Student Affairs staff, to enroll in specific courses, or any other activity the Appeals Committee believes will enable the student to meet SAP requirements by a specific point in time and ultimately enable him/her to complete the program of study in a timely manner. All requirements of an Academic Plan must be met each semester and will be checked by the Office of Financial Aid prior to awarding aid for the next semester of attendance. An Academic Plan will span no more than three terms.

Reinstatement of Aid

A student who has been suspended from receiving financial aid due to a lack of Satisfactory Academic Progress must pay for credit hours attempted until he or she can meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements to be eligible to receive any further financial aid. After a student has completed a semester on Financial Aid Suspension and the minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements have been met, aid will be reinstated for the eligible student.

Repetition of Courses, Learning Support Coursework, Withdrawals and Incompletes

Students should take care when repeating courses, as all attempts at a course are counted in the maximum hours allowed. Students should be reminded that withdrawing from a course does not count as successful completion and may adversely affect the successful completion rate. In addition to the above, no student may receive financial aid for more than 30 semester hours of learning support work.

Program Transfers

Students transferring from one program to another at this institution will continue to carry his/her GPA from one program to another for financial aid purposes and all credits and grades will count in the cumulative GPA requirements.

Financial Aid Termination

Financial aid will be immediately and permanently terminated at Coastal Pines Technical College if the Office of Financial Aid has evidence the student willfully and knowingly falsified information on the application materials with fraudulent intent. Financial aid will also be terminated immediately if Federal or State funds are not available to meet the award.

Limits of Eligibility

Federal PELL Grant Lifetime Eligibility Limit

Due to a change in federal regulations for Federal Student Aid, the Federal PELL Grant Program has been revised to limit the number of terms that a student may receive the PELL Grant in his/her academic history. As of July 1, 2012, a student can receive the Federal PELL Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent.

A student wishing to view his/her PELL Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (PELL LEU) can log into the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at The LEU will be found on the Financial Aid Review page.

For additional information on the Federal PELL Grant Program and the new Lifetime Eligibility Limit, click here

Paid-Hours Limit for HOPE Grant

An eligible student may receive HOPE Grant payment for the equivalent of 63 semester credit hours at all institutions.

Combined Paid-Hours Limit for HOPE Scholarship, Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE Grant, and ACCEL

An eligible student is ineligible to receive HOPE Scholarship, Zell Miller Scholarship, HOPE Grant, or ACCEL once he/she reaches the Combined Paid-Hours Limit of 127 semester credit hours from any combination of HOPE Scholarship Paid-Hours, plus Zell Miller Scholarship Paid-Hours, plus HOPE Grant Paid-Hours, plus ACCEL Program Paid-Hours for credit taken at all HOPE eligible institutions.

Attempted Hours Limit for HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships

A student is ineligible to receive HOPE Scholarship or Zell Miller Scholarship payment once he/she reaches the Attempted Hours Limit of 127 college level semester credit hours, regardless of how payment was made for those hours or if the hours were taken at a HOPE eligible institution.


A student is eligible for a financial aid refund if the total financial aid awarded exceeds the total tuition, fees, and other charges. A student may also be eligible for a refund if a credit exists on his/her account due to other possible changes that may occur on a student's account.

Students who are No-Shows or withdraw from a course by the end of the third instructional day of the semester or part-of-term shall receive a 100 percent refund, excluding the application fee, and any authorized financial aid will be reduced. Students who withdraw after the third instructional day of the semester shall receive no refund and be charged 100% of tuition and fees for the term.

Financial Aid Refunds: Financial Aid is credited electronically to a student's account each semester to pay for tuition, fees, and any other charges. Once the student's financial aid funds have been released to Coastal Pines Technical College, the refund process occurs.

The refund process normally occurs within two weeks after funds have been disbursed to the student's account by the 14th calendar day of the semester or part-of-term. Students may obtain the refund availability dates on campus and notices will be sent via the CPTC student email.

A student may login to his/her BannerWeb account to view student account information to determine the amount of refund for the term. Instructions on how to access this information is available on the BannerWeb login page.

After the refund has been applied to a student's account, the refund will then be electronically transferred to the CPTC Student Debit Card within three to five business days, unless the student has opted to receive a physical paper check.

New students will receive an CPTC Student Debit Card with activation instructions during his/her first term of attendance and information in the mail within 2 to 3 weeks after his/her first day of classes for the semester. The card is not a credit card. During the activation process, a student may choose which method he or she wishes to receive a refund. If the debit card is lost, there is a replacement fee to receive a new one. Please contact the CPTC Business Office for additional information.

Return of Title IV Funds

Students are awarded federal financial aid based on the assumption that the student will be in full attendance for an academic term and the number of hours enrolled. When a student does not complete an academic term (total withdrawal), federal regulations (34 CFR part 668.22) requires that the college return any unearned portion of the Title IV aid the student received, or may be eligible to receive, based on the number of days the student attended. Title IV is federal aid, and it consists of the PELL Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program at CPTC.

All schools are required to use the same federal mandated formula in determining the amount of aid earned and the amount of aid the student and CPTC are required to return to the financial aid programs. Federal regulations also determine the order of the financial aid programs from which federal aid must be returned.

Please note if a student is a recipient of Title IV aid, the student is required to notify the Registrar's Office and the Office of Financial Aid if the student decides to withdraw from OTC. To avoid a Return of Title IV Aid, the student MUST stay enrolled for 60% of the semester or part-of-term. The length of the term is the number of days (including weekends, but excluding official College holidays that are considered a break of 5 or more days during the term that would include the weekend) from the first day of classes through the last day classes and the Final Exam periods.

The amount of the student's Title IV aid earned is calculated as follows:

Number of days completed ? number of days in the semester = percentage of Title IV earned*

*100 percent earned, if the student completes greater than 60 percent of the term. None earned if the number of days completed is three or less.

If a student enrolls in classes for multiple parts of terms (full term classes, first half classes, second half classes, etc.) and subsequently withdraws from all classes, then federal aid eligibility will be recalculated based on the number of days of the full term the student actually attended. If the second part-of-term classes have not begun yet, the student will be officially withdrawn from those courses and the award for the full term must be recalculated based on the number of hours the student was enrolled in at the beginning of the term to include any full term classes and/or first part-of-term classes only. This recalculation may result in an additional balance owed to the college if enrollment status changes result in a reduction of the financial aid awards for the semester. Any student issued a Title IV refund and then found to have dropped or totally withdrawn from classes prior to the completion of the 60% attendance point in the semester must return the unearned funds back to the college. Students owing an outstanding balance will not be allowed to receive grades, transcripts, or register for future classes until the amount owed is paid in full.

After a student withdraws, the student will receive a letter of notification identifying any financial aid the student is eligible to keep or that may be eligible to receive (in the event the student is eligible for but has not yet received the aid at the time of the withdrawal). Read this letter carefully and take any action that may be required.

Please remember: There are many variables that must be taken into account when determining an official Return of Title IV calculation. Eligibility will be based on the actual withdrawal date and federal awards. Questions regarding the impact of possible withdrawal on federal financial aid should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid

If an eligible student is receiving HOPE funds for the semester or part-of-term, the HOPE award will be applied to tuition charges before PELL Grant funds.


Withdraw versus Drop

The term "drop" refers to removing a course from the students schedule during the schedule adjustment period. These classes are removed from the academic record. The term "withdraw" is used when a student files a withdrawal form requesting a grade of W or WF in a course or the instructor or college administratively withdraws the student. These courses remain on the student's record. Withdrawn courses count toward the total hours attempted and when determining academic progress.

How do withdrawals affect my financial aid?

If a student withdraws from one or more classes after the schedule adjustment period (first three instructional days of the term), the student will receive a grade of W or WF and may also receive a recalculation of financial aid funds received for that term. Since a calculation is made based on the percentage of the semester completed, the Office of Financial Aid cannot give a specific amount of the adjustment upon inquiry. If it is determined that the student has totally withdrawn, the student may owe a portion of any financial aid used or received during the term. If the student is owed money after the recalculation has been done, the student will receive a bill and a hold will be placed on the student record.

Please be advised: Withdrawing on or after the 4th instructional day of the semester from a class, or all classes, will count towards the Pace of Progression for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Also, if the student did not attend at least 60% of the semester prior to totally withdrawing, the student will have to repay any federal aid received for the course(s) from which he/she withdrew.

Note: Students should become familiar with and understand the rules about SAP as outlined above and check progress each semester to protect financial aid eligibility.


Telephone numbers are accessible to persons who are deaf or hard of hearing through the Georgia Relay by dialing 711 or 1-800-255-0056 from a TTY/TDD.

Los números de teléfono son accesibles a las personas que son sordos o con pérdida de la audición a través de Georgia Relay marcando 711 o 1-800-255-0056 de TTY/TDD.


Waycross Camden Baxley
1701 Carswell Ave 100 Keith Dixon Way 1334 Golden Isles Pkwy, W
Waycross, Georgia 31503 Kingsland, GA 31548 Baxley, Georgia 31513
912.287.6584 912.522.4510 912.367.1700
  Camden Golden Isles
Alma Cosmetology Program 3700 Glynco Pkwy
101 West 17th St 8001 The Lakes Blvd Brunswick, Georgia 31525
Alma, Georgia 31510 Kingsland, Georgia 31548 912.262.4999
912.632.0951 912.510.3364  
  Hazlehurst 1777 West Cherry St
  677 Douglas Hwy Jesup, Georgia 31545
  Hazlehurst, Georgia 31539 912.427.5800


Human Trafficking Hotline

Website design and development by, Inc.

Copyright © Coastal Pines Technical College. All rights reserved.

close (X)