Skip to Main Content

Advanced Placement

Transfer & Transient Students

Students applying to Coastal PinesTechnical College (CPTC) who have been previously enrolled at another institution will be classified under the following:

  1. Students who are in good academic standing at their former institution will be accepted in good academic standing.
  2. Applicants who are not in good academic standing at their former institution will be accepted on academic probation.

Credit by Transfer

As part of the admissions process, all official transcripts submitted by applicants to the college are evaluated for credit transfer. Credit for courses at a college, university, or other postsecondary institution accredited by a national or regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Technical College System of Georgia and whose curriculum is equivalent to or greater than that of CPTC will be considered for award of transfer credit.

Collegiate credit awarded neither by colleges, universities, or other postsecondary institutions not fully accredited nor in candidacy status for accreditation from a regional accrediting association will be considered for transfer credit following the verification of instructor credentials and approval by the Vice President for Academic Affairs or his/her designated authority.

Coastal Pines Technical College will honor any academic sanctions imposed on applicants by the last postsecondary institution attended.

Awarding of transfer credit by Coastal Pines Technical College does not guarantee that institutions subsequently attended by the student will accept the credit.

The following guidelines apply to the evaluation of transfer credit:

  • An official transcript is on file from all post-secondary institutions attended. Credits from one former institution appearing on the transcript of another institution can neither be evaluated nor accepted for credit without an official transcript from the institution of origin
  • A desktop review (evaluation of courses for transfer credit) is required
  • A grade of “C” or higher has been earned for each course transferred
  • Occupationally related technical course work should have been completed within five years prior to enrollment at CPTC
  • No time limits exist on transferability of general education coursework
  • The course is essentially the same in content as the course at CPTC
  • Maximum credit hours awarded for a transfer course will not exceed the credit hours assigned to equivalent course at CPTC
  • Course descriptions, syllabi, and pertinent catalog information will be reviewed to assure course compatibility with those of CPTC. Students are responsible for obtaining appropriate course descriptions and additional documentation if needed
  • Decisions regarding the transfer of academic credit are made by the Registrar

The Registrar’s Office will evaluate official transcripts from postsecondary institutions and inform the student in writing of which classes will transfer to CPTC.

Credits accepted for transfer will be recorded into CPTC’s record system, and the student will receive an updated copy of his/her transcript including transferred credits.

COMPASS, ASSET, ACT, SAT, and other national tests are recognized. COMPASS testing may not be required for applicants that have successfully completed the program-equivalent math and English courses for their CPTC program of study at another institution.

NOTE: If a student desiring to transfer has not exited learning support studies at another institution, the student may retake the COMPASS in the areas that caused the student to be classified as learning support/developmental or be accepted as a learning support/developmental status student.

Residence Requirements

To graduate from a program, a student must complete at least 25% of the program course hours at Coastal Pines Technical College. Students who have completed all or part of their secondary or postsecondary education outside of the United States are required to have their foreign educational credentials evaluated and approved by an independent evaluation agency.

Articulated Credit

Articulated credit may be awarded for course work completed under formal articulation agreements when established competencies have been achieved. Credits earned in specific secondary school courses are eligible to be articulated to CPTC by high school graduates.

The following guidelines apply to articulated credit:

  • An official high school transcript must be on file
  • Student must enroll at CPTC within 18 months of graduation
  • A minimum grade of 70 must be earned in comparable secondary technical courses
  • Competency testing (written and/or performance) for each course to be articulated will be required with a passing score
  • No fee shall be charged to students taking an exam to validate competency for articulated credit

Standardized Exam Credit

Coastal Pines Technical College may award credit for a limited number of college level subject exams available through several nationally recognized examination boards. Credit may be awarded for approved Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate Credit pending review by the Registrar and appropriate faculty.

Advanced Placement Examinations are offered by the College Entrance Exam Board. Examinations administered for CLEP subject matter is awarded according to the American Council on Education’s College Board. International Baccalaureate Credit examinations are offered by the International

Baccalaureate Examination Board.

The following guidelines apply to College Board examination credit:

  • Students must receive a score of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam
  • Students must score at the 50th percentile or above on the CLEP test
  • Official test scores must be sent directly from the College Board to Coastal Pines Technical College’s Office of Admissions
  • Students must receive a score of 3 or higher on the International Baccalaureate Examination

Experiential Learning/Professional or Industry Certification

A student seeking credit for non-credit coursework, such as experiential learning or professional or industry certification may choose to take the CPTC exemption exam to earn college credit. The exam may be written and/or performance based and validates competencies in skills the student would obtain through actual enrollment in the course. Student requests for the evaluation of licensure, certifications, and/or work experience for course credit are handled on a case by case basis.

Institutional Exemption Exam

A currently enrolled or accepted program student may receive course credit by passing an institutional exemption exam if one is offered. The exam may be written and/or performance based and validates competencies in skills the student would obtain through actual enrollment in the course.

The following conditions govern credit by exemption exam:

  • Student may not be currently enrolled in the class for which exemption is attempted
  • An exemption exam may not be attempted during the same term for which student withdrew from the course he/she is attempting to exempt
  • Credit by exam is prohibited for any course in which a grade of “D” or “F” has been earned by the student
  • An exemption exam can be taken only once
  • No more than 23 semester credit hours may be earned by institutional credit exam
  • Payment of applicable exemption exam fee must be made prior to taking the exemption exam. Charges for the exam are nonrefundable and are not covered by financial aid
  • No fee shall be charged to students taking an exam to validate competency following completion of required modules in a learning support class

Military Training Credit

Credit may be awarded for training received in the Armed Forces. Students requesting credit for Armed Forces training should submit an official training certificate to the Admissions Office.

The following guidelines apply to military training credit for transfer:

  • The training must be certified by the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Forces published by the American Council on Education or by the official catalog of the Community College of the Air Force
  • Time limits for transfer will be the same as those for traditional transfer credit
  • Training experience meets the required competencies for a course required in the program in which the student is enrolled

Transient Students

An applicant who wishes to be a transient from another technical college and who has completed all the required steps for admission may be admitted as a transient student. Transient students may complete the coursework under a state-standardized curriculum for graduation from the program. The degree, diploma, or technical certificate of credit will be awarded by the home institution rather than by Coastal Pines Technical College.

NOTE: Prior to enrollment, the Admissions Office will obtain a transient letter from the Admissions Office at the home institution to the effect that the home institution will accept Coastal Pines Technical College’s credits toward the graduation of the transient student.

  • A transient student must:
  • Submit a completed application for admission.
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee.
  • Present a transient letter from the home institution stating the courses that can be taken.
  • Have an official transcript sent back to the home institution at the end of the transient term.
  • Pay all scheduled fees of the host institution.

Students from Coastal Pines Technical College who want to be a transient at another school must be in good standing. In addition to being a student in good standing, he/she must have successfully completed 17 semester or 25 quarter hours of credit at OTC.

***Only grades of “C” or better will be transferred, and a transient student is allowed to take only 17 semester or 25 quarter hours at another institution.

Program Transfers

Students who want to transfer from one program to another within the institution must follow these procedures:

  1. Receive career counseling from an advisor prior to program transfer.
  2. Complete the Major Change section of the Student Information Change Form and submit the form to the Admissions Office.

Diploma to Degree Transfers

A student who desires to change from a diploma status to a degree status should consult his/her program advisor; he/she must meet degree admissions requirements and complete the Major Change section of the Student Information Change Form. Changes must be made prior to the effective term. Students should always consult with the Financial Aid Director on this type of transfer.


Telephone numbers are accessible to persons who are deaf or hard of hearing through the Georgia Relay by dialing 711 or 1-800-255-0056 from a TTY/TDD.

Los números de teléfono son accesibles a las personas que son sordos o con pérdida de la audición a través de Georgia Relay marcando 711 o 1-800-255-0056 de TTY/TDD.


Waycross Camden Baxley
1701 Carswell Ave 100 Keith Dixon Way 1334 Golden Isles Pkwy, W
Waycross, Georgia 31503 Kingsland, GA 31548 Baxley, Georgia 31513
912.287.6584 912.522.4510 912.367.1700
  Camden Golden Isles
Alma Cosmetology Program 3700 Glynco Pkwy
101 West 17th St 8001 The Lakes Blvd Brunswick, Georgia 31525
Alma, Georgia 31510 Kingsland, Georgia 31548 912.262.4999
912.632.0951 912.510.3364  
  Hazlehurst 1777 West Cherry St
  677 Douglas Hwy Jesup, Georgia 31545
  Hazlehurst, Georgia 31539 912.427.5800


Human Trafficking Hotline

Website design and development by, Inc.

Copyright © Coastal Pines Technical College. All rights reserved.

close (X)